So, this is my life.

And I want you to know that I am both happy and sad and I'm still trying to figure out how that could be.

Thursday, December 16, 2010

i weep

i felt as though i personally was being attacked today as i read Gawker's article entitled 'The 10 Most Annoying Christmas Songs.'


despite being one of the best blogs/news media in existence, Gawker exhibits its scroogery and poor taste in holiday music today.  included in its list of most annoying Christmas songs are three of my favorites, which i am currently listening to on repeat every morning and evening as i travel from and to my home at the North Philly Pole: 


2. "Baby It's Cold Outside" (though i currently, and ashamedly, prefer the Glee version, with the ELF version, sung by Zooey Deschanel/Katy Perry, coming in second.)

3. "Last Christmas"  
 
4. "River" (because Joni Mitchell never lies.)


despite my love for favorite number 3, i admit that i chuckled at Gawker's appropriate synopsis of the tune:


Another entry in the "creepy lyrics" category is this song that is basically about date rape. A man is convincing a woman that she should stay at his house to cuddle and canoodle, but she really wants to leave. He doesn't think no means no and is basically saying, "I won't lend you a coat so your choice is to stay here and let me paw at you or try to get home and freeze." By the time she sings, "Say, what's in this drink?" we want to scream, "It's a roofie!" and call the police.


i shall continue to read Gawker, of course, so long as its writers stay far away from my number one favorite Christmas song ever:


1.  "My Only Wish This Year" by Britney "The Voice" Spears


yeah.  every morning.  'cause i'm still wishing.

 

No comments: