So, this is my life.

And I want you to know that I am both happy and sad and I'm still trying to figure out how that could be.

Thursday, March 4, 2010

ehrmann says...


“Be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the tress and stars. In the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul."


these days, life is neither noisy nor full of confusion. these days the noise and confusion are internal. so much to do/what should i do? so many options/are any of these options feasible? what will make me successful/what will make me happy?

so many questions, so few answers. you know, this isn't how my adult life has played out thus far. i'm a guy who likes plans and time-lines and flowcharts. and i'm a guy who
traditionally has stuck to the plans laid.


time to get back on the grid, i guess. but first, i'll focus on the task - the test ? - of keeping peace in my soul. which would be so much easier if my Xanax sources hadn't dried up...


2 comments:

t.l. bonaddio said...

You may have heard this before, but it's gotten me through many times...

"...I would like to beg you dear Sir, as well as I can, to have patience with everything unresolved in your heart and to try to love the questions themselves as if they were locked rooms or books written in a very foreign language. Don't search for the answers, which could not be given to you now, because you would not be able to live them. And the point is to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps then, someday far in the future, you will gradually, without even noticing it, live your way into the answer."

Rainer Maria Rilke, 1903
in Letters to a Young Poet

tobethatguy said...

thanks for the reminder, T.

you love when i quote rilke:

http://tobethatguy.blogspot.com/2008/12/rilke-says.html