So, this is my life.

And I want you to know that I am both happy and sad and I'm still trying to figure out how that could be.

Monday, January 28, 2008

the clinical diaries, day 5


people have very difficult, sad lives -- and not just old people, or ugly people, but real people. people like you and me, 22 year-olds whose stories make me want to cry, whose sobbing over the phone causes a lump to rise in my throat. it was a difficult day at work.

and it's tempting to be sad, but that's not the answer.

the answer is to be happy, to be grateful, and to spread the joy we have. the first step to that is to recognize how lucky we are, friends. we're so fortunate to feel safe inside our homes and neighborhoods, to have family members who love and support us, and to have one another.

today i'm grateful for:

-you, my friends, with whom i can share my joys and sorrows
-living in a city that, while filled with gun violence, is not generally hostile to unique people
-a family that allowed me to choose my own path in life and to travel and move wherever i desired
-my hair. i know that doesn't really fit with the theme of this journal entry, but it's been doing really good things lately.

"The daily practice of gratitude is one of the conduits by which your wealth will come to you."

No comments: