So, this is my life.

And I want you to know that I am both happy and sad and I'm still trying to figure out how that could be.

Thursday, January 24, 2008

a not-so-funny thing happened on the way to class

i just witnessed a girl getting stabbed on the subway.





well, not actually "stabbed," like, in her body. just her dunkin donuts cup.

i was sitting a few rows away, quietly last-minute cramming/reading for class (i should be doing that now, but... this is more important, i feel) when suddenly a girl screams. coffee flies everywhere. with cream. sugar... maybe. the victim wasn't totally thin. cute, though.

everyone screams, runs to the next car. i get swept up in the mass of fleeing passengers, trying not to cry, my life and wardrobe flashing before my eyes...

the perp (as we call it in the law enforcement world) just sat there. head down. knife in his right hand. holding an open book in his left hand. the Bible, it was later confirmed.

and the crazy thing about it was, the girl totally did not deserve to be assaulted. i mean, she was very, very cute, with long curly hair covered by a cute little winter hat, and wearing a nice coat. i felt so bad as she stood among the mass of people (now in the adjacent train car) crying. i wanted to pull out her compact and powder over her tears.

needless to say, the train stopped. the perp just sat there, doing his daily devotional, and finally the septa police showed up to save the day, cuff the bad guy, and rescue us all from the insanity that is living in philadelphia -- if only for the day. who knows what will happen on the subway tomorrow.

and not to make it about me, but if i were that girl, i would have been so upset about my coffee. mostly because i'm exhausted. and i really need my coffee this week. not to make it about me... or anything.

No comments: