So, this is my life.

And I want you to know that I am both happy and sad and I'm still trying to figure out how that could be.

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

twain says...

Any so-called material thing that you want is merely a symbol: you want it not for itself, but because it will content your spirit for the moment.


my luggage arrived this afternoon, after three days. i felt such relief. all my anger dissipated in an instant. the desire to write another strongly worded letter exited my being, and i felt contentment.

but as i (finally) unpacked my luggage, my STUFF, i couldn't help but ask myself: what, in the heaping piles i was attempting to organize, was so important? what did i miss so dearly that it upset me for days?

what i was waiting for, in the end, was a huge pile of laundry, mainly.

sure, there were other things, but nothing that important. some toiletries? (i could've bought more). my favorite flip flops? (they're old and tattered anyway). my corkscrew? (well, that, actually, is really important to me, so i had reason to be upset about it). but what else? a book i've already read? a couple of suits?

it's just STUFF.


i am such a silly little sinner. i wanted it because i couldn't have it, regardless of whether i needed it.

and now i'm left with a huge pile of laundry and no excuse for not doing it. hmph.

.

No comments: