So, this is my life.

And I want you to know that I am both happy and sad and I'm still trying to figure out how that could be.

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

love is a battlefield

i make my bed every day. if i don't have the energy to do it in the early morning, i make it when i get home from work. if i don't have the energy to make my bed when i get home from work, i do it right before bed... minutes before jumping under the covers and, in effect, un-making the bed.

why? because i have to. because my mother taught me to always make my bed. ALWAYS. it's the #1 way to make the room look more tidy and clean. and it simply should be made. if you're not going to bother making your bed, why bother buying expensive duvets and pillow shams for all over it? what's the use?

over the years, probably beginning in high school, i have learned to sleep in a bed without un-making it. despite my tossing and turning, i am conscientious enough to re-adjust covers and sheets throughout the night - even in my sleep - so as to avoid messing up or un-making the bed. when i wake up in the morning, i simply fold down the flap from whence i came, re-arrange my 7 pillows, and continue on with my day knowing my bed is beautiful and perfectly made behind me.


on those rare occasions when i am not alone in bed, all this goes out the window. the entire night is spent pulling covers back to my side, wrestling with sheets, and searching for my pillows. if any of you have slept with me (platonically or otherwise), you know this wrestling match well. it is a power struggle, and the prize is comfortable sleep.

lately, i have lost all control over my bed. i fight all night for pillows and sheets. sometimes the pillows disappear to the floor. and in the morning... dear lord, in the morning... where do i begin?

in the morning, my precious bed is such a mess that i have to pull everything off and start over. no turning-down of the flap. it's like cleaning up the battlefields of normandy in late july of 1944. no offense to those of you who are still upset about WWII... *cough* japanese *cough*. all my hard work throughout the night, all my years of learning to sleep without moving... all for naught.

but at the end of the day, as i'm making my bed before crawling back into it... i wouldn't trade having someone special to wake up with for all the perfectly made, throw-pillow-strewn, creased-sheet, nate berkus beds in the world.

No comments: