So, this is my life.

And I want you to know that I am both happy and sad and I'm still trying to figure out how that could be.

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

about love

i feel like i've been seeing a lot of movies lately, and i can't help but recommend or, alternatively, criticize them all.

last night i saw a flick that i have to give a big ol' recommendation.
i hadn't heard much about 500 Days of Summer, nor had i even seen the trailer. on a whim, and based upon it's unusually high rating on RottenTomatoes (i'm obsessed with that site and check it before seeing any movie), i went to see it last night.

i don't want to give too much away by weighing in on the debate about whether this is a cute romantic comedrama or whether, as the film's narrator warns, "you should know up front, this is not a love story."

whether it is, in fact, a love story is for you to decide.

all i can say is that the movie is lovely, yet somehow realistic and relatable. in addition, it has a very nice soundtrack, a fantastic and adorable male lead, and a quirky and fun structure/sequence to the film. thanks to all these good qualities in the film, i didn't even mind that horrid zooey deschanel girl so much. that's such a bullshit name, by the way.

just go see it, okay? and once you have, come back and tell me whether this is a love story or not.


2 comments:

Isabella Basil said...

I'm glad you liked it. It's not playing in any theaters in this horrible little town, but I've been planning to see it as soon as the DVD is out.

Every time I see a movie with that girl in it, I have the most unusual desire to get bangs. It sticks with me for weeks.

t said...

I actually just re-watched this movie this past weekend, and I don't think that it was a love story. It was an out-of-love story, and about what they both went through to get to a point of another potential love. The ending is just the beginning of the love story.

I have a very love/hate relationship with this movie. But I love love the soundtrack.