So, this is my life.

And I want you to know that I am both happy and sad and I'm still trying to figure out how that could be.

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

the heartbreaking effects of this recession


the last time my BFF went through a post-break-up mini depression, we took a last-minute, 5-day heartbreak cruise to Mexico and other ports about which we were too drunk to care. but IN THIS ECONOMY, all i can really do to cheer her up is a 3-day vacation at the family farm in Amishville. instead of mojitos on the lido deck, we'll be sipping white wine on the back porch facing a corn field.

"Can I get you another Corona? I'll get it. Stay in the pool," -- the pool being the kiddie pool my mom usually uses to wash buckets of tomatoes before canning them.

but none of that is important. what's important is that two best friends are going to spend a few days enjoying peace and quiet and alcohol. not to mention a lot of time to talk. because we all know that there's one thing that you cannot get enough of during a break-up: venting. who did what wrong, and lied about what, and oh god another text message, why can't he just leave me alone, i think he's a sadist, this is all a game, yeah, you really dodged a bullet there, etc.

over the years i've learned that there's not much that you can say. it's best to agree, occasionally call the ex an asshole, and try to add humor to the situation. humor and fun, to which end i spent the past hour making an up-beat, who-needs-'em break-up CD for the car ride and/or late night dance party (of two) in the basement. thank god the adults are all out of town this weekend, though it would've been nice to have a designated driver just in case. at any rate...

operation cheer up BFF commence!

No comments: