So, this is my life.

And I want you to know that I am both happy and sad and I'm still trying to figure out how that could be.

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

from the archives - verbatim

5 years ago today. 2003.
before bloggers blogged.
back when bloggers journaled.
when this blogger journaled.
verbatim.



Oct. 7

Que caprichoso!

Well, I was today. I did something so capricious. I guess I knew where I would get a piercing, but I never really thought I would get one. So I was in the mall... in the piercing shop.

The man said it would cost 8,000 colones, and I had exactly that much in my pocket. So maybe it was destiny.

Either way, I went into that little room.
"It's just like a shot, right?"
"No," she assured me, "this is going to hurt."
"Muchas gracias," I laughed. She was such a little bitch!

It did hurt. A LOT. I felt like it would never end. Then it was over... and it still hurt :-)

"A minute of pain for a lifetime of happiness," she told me in Spanish.

Does she think I'll have this piercing when I'm 80 years old? Or did she mean that this was the beginning of a lifetime of happiness? Have I been liberated? Am I now a free spirit, ready to live a life full of happiness and adventure?

Hmm... I think she just meant that I could keep my piercing for life - or the scar. I dunno.

I'f argued before that if the good Lord had wanted an extra hole in my body or a tattoo permanently on my skin, He would have given it to me. But now that I have gotten another hole in my body, I don't feel bad or weird. I, well, I kinda like it. I feel different - like I've got a great accessory.

It's so small - it isn't even a big deal, and no one will notice it. But the important people will. And I notice it. It was a liberating experience.


five months later i took it out.
i made the decision to get it before i knew my character.

and it still hurt sometimes.
and he didn't like it.


my, how far we've come!
.

2 comments:

Pat Sandora said...

My coworker, Sheila, goes back into her middle school diary and shares entries she's written... then inserts her opinion on her feelings today. VERY funny http://www.sheilaomalley.com/archives/cat_diary_friday.html

I think you should do the same. She's writing a book out of it, I think.

Also, remember my eyebrow ring? Sometimes I miss it.

Anonymous said...

Are you talking about when you randomly peirced your foccacia? I remember that...