So, this is my life.

And I want you to know that I am both happy and sad and I'm still trying to figure out how that could be.

Thursday, October 16, 2008

you are always on my mind...


i know i harp on gay rights and marriage equality, some months more than others. and if you're my facebook friend, i could apologize for filling your stalker-feed with countless posts regarding equal rights, bigotry, etc. could. but won't. because you need to know.

and since the recent CT supreme court decision, the subject has been fresh on my mind once again. how could it not be? it's in the news, on the fingertips of bloggers, and all over television with the upcoming Proposition 8 vote (hint: vote NO!) faced by Californians.

rather than talk your ear off (type your... eye off...?), i'll just share a few tidbits that i think will begin to sum up the progress (or lack thereof) of equality in the USofA. enjoy.

* * *

No government has the right to tell its citizens whom to love. The only queer people are those who don't love anybody.
—Rita Mae Brown

* * *

this video almost made me cry.

* * *

Marriage is one of the "basic civil rights of man," fundamental to our very existence and survival.
-USSC, Loving v. Virginia

* * *

thanks, A, for sending me this video. yo, you tryin' a tell me something?

* * *

a real money quote:
A government that would deny a gay man the right to bridal registry is a fascist state.
-Margaret Cho


* * *
and i'd like to conclude with a reminder to hope:

No army can withstand the strength of an idea whose time has come.



and JSYK, you haven't heard the last from me on this topic. this is just the beginning. in the upcoming weeks, you can expect an entry featuring excerpts from a fantastic Andrew Sullivan article re: civil unions, and another featuring my very own Non-apologetic Argument, currently stewing...

No comments: