So, this is my life.

And I want you to know that I am both happy and sad and I'm still trying to figure out how that could be.

Sunday, April 27, 2008

red, red wine

last night's chianti tasted like roman summer nights. a surrogate family shared with me a true italian feast, complete with huge olives and piles of cheeses. pastas, meatballs, gelato, cookies. my mind repeatedly drifted back to that summer, not because our conversation reminded me of it, not because i think of it often (strange how infrequently i think back on that time), but because of the flavors. the smells and tastes took me back.

and i don't drink red wine, but i did back then. when in rome... and i did last night. it was actually lovely. and to think the bottle that costs us $23 here costs the italianos about two euros, and the vino probably comes in a box you can get at any and every supermarket.

i wonder if they take their wine for granted. it's like juice, it's available everywhere, for cheap. what do we take for granted in the states? food, i guess. space. time. we don't appreciate now. let's try to savor it, to taste every day. even the days we don't appreciate, like the red wines i avoid. even mondays could turn out to be lovely. it's worth a try.

i guess it went to my head.

No comments: