So, this is my life.

And I want you to know that I am both happy and sad and I'm still trying to figure out how that could be.

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

it's too late, baby, now it's too late

okay, so you know how i'm (and probably you're) obsessed with missed connections, right? i'm drawn to them. not because i want to see one about me (i do and have), not because i've had some connection (i have), but because they're fascinating/exciting/hopeful/funny.

the normal, cute MC goes something like this one:

Phillies game- Tuesday night (Sisters) - m4w - 28 (Phillies Game)

To the two sisters me and my brother were talking to at McFadden's.....I feel stupid. I should have asked you guys for drinks some time. Well if you see this feel free to contact me. I hope those tickets did you well.

i think that's what the MC page was intended to facilitate.
of course, in the gay community they tend to be a liiiiiiiiitle bit more explicit:

Bartending Class - m4m - 21 (Manayunk)

Extremely hot tan guy (nova, maybe?) in the daily bartending class in manayunk.. i wanna suck you off so badly. Hit me up.

but that's just how gays are. dirty and forward. and they're all hair-dressers. no surprise there.

but lately i've been surprised at how many sad MC's i've seen. love lost. love driven away. love unappreciated 'til it was gone. all the time, they're posted!
they're not so much missed connections as they are attempts to reach out, say what should've been said earlier, and maybe - just maybe - be heard by the intended, long-lost reader (whose number is probably still in the poster's mobile, just a drunk text away).

i'm talking about posts like this:

Wishing for something different - w4m

I know the odds are against us...but I miss you.
I cry every night that you're not next to me. You get used to that closeness after a while...
I'm sorry for everything and that I couldn't be stronger. I tried, but it's just too much to handle. I need to take care of myself.
I hope you find what makes you happy and that you have the family you're looking for. I wish, more than anything, that I could have been the one. We could have been heroes.
Always love
xoxo


well, i don't know about you, but i don't want to be writing any of these silly, miscategorized missed connections in the future... although i did appreciate her nod to a sweet david bowie classic. anyway, let's all just say what we have to say, when it's time to say it, before it's too late. agreed? agreed.

so here's my own missed connection, just for fun. a real MC. the way an MC was intended:

Green shirt & glasses today - m4m - 25 (building on mkt)

saw u in the office today. lime-ish green Polo button-down, glasses. cute smile.
i want 2 git wit u, but i'm 2 shy 2 say anything when co-workers r around.
hit me up sometime if ur down.
tell me what i wuz wearin' so i know its really you.

3 comments:

Pat Sandora said...

*gag me*

Anyway

I actually made my own missed connection about a year ago. I was having drinks at these outdoor tables and was smiling at this cute boy sitting w/ his friends. I thought "I'm going to do a MC to him, cos I don't feel like actually approaching him." Well, before dinner was over a DIFFERENT boy came up to ME and made a huge scene like, "I couldn't leave without giving you my number! Please call me!" (he was fug)

So I wrote the MC and the boy saw it and wrote me back! We went on a few dates, and it didn't pan out, but now we're good friends and his friends still refer to me as "MC" for Missed Connections.

Fun.`

Anonymous said...

umm i think u wuz wearin jeans and a gray pullover.. lookin hella casual.. prob on the way to the gym/sauna to git sucked off.. is dis u? hollaback. twoonefivefoursixzerooneeighteightthree

DDF
but 420+

Anonymous said...

Great post as usual, Matthew!

~One of your MC's, Rick ;)